Frequently Asked Questions

Beginning the Application Process

Q: Who is considered an international student at Temple University?

You are considered an international student if you hold, or will need to obtain, a non-immigrant visa, including a student visa (F-1), or an exchange visitor visa (J-1).

Q: I am a dual citizen, should I note both on my application?

Students should disclose all countries where they hold citizenship or residency ties. Citizenship has no impact on the chance of admission. It is, however, important to provide full disclosure because the University tracks this information for records purposes, and citizenship or residency status may impact the type of financial aid a student may be able to receive.

Q: What majors and programs of studies are offered at Temple University?

You can view a complete listing of majors and programs of studies offered at Temple University online.

Q: How can I request additional information about Temple University and materials focused on international students?

You can request free informational materials about Temple University online.

Q: What documents should I submit with my application?

Please collect the following documents necessary to complete your application:

1. Official High School and/or University transcripts with English translations: Your application needs to include official and original academic records from all secondary schools, colleges, and/or universities you have attended.

2. Standardized Tests:
    Freshman Applicants: All first-year applicants are required to submit the results of at least 
    one of the following tests: SAT, ACT, TOEFL iBT ®, IELTS, or PTE.

    Transfer Applicants: Transfer students should submit either the TOEFL iBT ®, IELTS, or PTE
    unless they meet one of the following exemptions:

          -  The applicant has successfully completed English composition at a US accredited
             college or university.
          -  English is the applicant's native language.

Once these documents have been submitted, they become property of Temple University and cannot be returned to the student. Students who prefer to retain their original documents may submit notarized copies.​ 

Documents should be in your native language as well as a version translated into English. 

The easiest way to apply to Temple University is to submit an online application. You may also download the application and send it in by mail or use the Common Application. Please ensure that you include all required documents when submitting your application. Completed applications and materials should be sent to the following address: 

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1801 North Broad Street, Conwell Hall 103
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122-6096, USA

Q: Does Temple University accept the common application?

Temple University does accept the common application. Alternatively, applicants can use the Temple University application when applying.

Q: Is Conditional Admission granted for international students who do not meet the English language requirement?

Conditional Admission is available to talented students who meet the academic requirements for admission but need to improve their English language skills. Conditional Admission students will be enrolled in the Access Temple program for 1 or 2 semesters while earning college credit and developing language proficiency. The minimum entry criteria for Conditional Admission are TOEFL 65 iBT ®, IELTS 5.5, or PTE 46. Students who receive conditional admission have a guaranteed place at Temple University after completing Access Temple.

Q: Do I need to submit SAT or ACT results with my application?

All first-year applicants are required to submit the results of at least one of the following tests: SAT, ACT, TOEFL iBT ®, IELTS, or PTE. Transfer students should submit either the TOEFL iBT ®, IELTS, or PTE unless they meet one of the following exemptions: successful completion of English Composition at a US accredited college or university OR English is the applicant's native language.

Q: Can I be considered for admission into Temple University without a TOEFL iBT ® or IELTS score?

All first-year applicants are required to submit the results of at least one of the following tests: SAT, ACT, TOEFL iBT ®, IELTS, or PTE. Transfer students should submit either the TOEFL iBT ®, IELTS, or PTE unless they meet one of the following exemptions: successful completion of English Composition at a US accredited college or university OR English is the applicant's native language.

Q: What is the minimum TOEFL iBT ® or IELTS score I need to be admitted?

The minimum test scores for admission into Temple University are as follows*:

TOEFL: 79 iBT®
IELTS: 6.0
PTE: 53

The minimum test scores for conditional admission into Temple University are as follows:

TOEFL: 65-78 iBT®
IELTS: 5.5
PTE: 46-52

*Please note that certain majors, including those within the Fox School of Business, will require a higher level of proficiency:

IELTS: 6.5
PTE: 56

Q: How long does it take to receive an admission decision?

Once you have submitted all the materials necessary for your application, please allow up to two weeks to receive an admission decision. You can check the status of your application by logging into the TUportal website.

Q: How can international students apply for a scholarship or financial aid?

Temple University offer scholarships for international students and does not require an application for a scholarship. If you are selected for a scholarship you will be notified at the time of acceptance. Merit scholarships are awarded to international students with strong academic records and standardized test scores. Unfortunately need based aid is not available.

Q: How do I schedule a tour of Temple University?

If you are able to visit Philadelphia, contact us to arrange a tour. We would love to show you around campus. The Temple University Welcome Center handles all tours of Temple University Main Campus. Come to one of our weekday information sessions or email us to schedule a visit.

Q: Where can I find out information about tuition at Temple University?

Information about tuition, billing, payments and loan services at Temple University can be found by visiting the Bursar’s Office website, or by calling 215-204-7269. You can visit the Bursar’s Office Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Bursar’s Office is located at:

1803 North Broad St.
115 Carnell Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19122

Q: How much money does my sponsor need to show in order to receive an I-20 form?

In order to receive an I-20 form, your sponsor will need to verify approximately $35,000. More information about financial documentation can be found here.

Q: Do I need to submit financial documents together with the application?

It is not necessary but a good idea to submit financial documents with your application so that we can produce your I-20 as quickly as possible. The necessary financial documents can be submitted through your account.

Q: How do I apply for a student visa?

The best way to apply for your student visa is to contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. If you have additional questions, just ask and we’ll find an answer for you. 

Q: What is the deadline to apply for a student visa?

Temple University advises you to submit your application for an I-20 at the same time you submit your application for admission into Temple University. Once you submit your deposit and all required documents, an I-20 will be mailed to you. For those transferring an I-20 from another school, I-20s will be issued after your previous school releases your SEVIS record to Temple University.

Q: As a transfer student, do I need to evaluate my transcripts with an evaluation agency? E.G. WES, AACRAO.

Temple University does not require your transcripts to be evaluated by an evaluation institution. You are more than welcome to submit evaluations, but it is still necessary to submit the original transcripts. Temple University performs its own evaluations.

Q: As a transfer student am I required to submit course descriptions?

In most cases, Temple University will not require you to submit course descriptions during the application process; however, course descriptions are helpful in determining the number of transfer credits that Temple University will accept. In some cases, if the transcript is unclear, an admissions counselor may contact you to request course descriptions and/or syllabi.

Q: How long does it take to receive a transfer credit evaluation?

Transfer credit evaluations are completed after a student has been accepted. Please allow two to three weeks from the time you receive your admission decision. If you have a specific question or concern about your credits, please tell us and we’ll put you in contact with a transfer counselor.


After Acceptance into Temple University

Congratulations on becoming a Temple University student! Just as Temple University was committed to assisting you during the application process, we strive to make your transition as a student seamless. Below are most of our frequently asked questions by admitted international students.

Q: How do I pay my deposit? Is there a deadline?

You can pay the deposit using TUPay which is available under the welcome tab of the TU Portal or by returning the enrollment deposit form included in your acceptance package. If paying by mail, please send a personal or bank-issued check drawn upon a bank in the U.S. or a money order made payable to Temple University.  Our deposit deadline is May 1.

Q: Is housing available for international students?

Temple University does offer on-campus housing accommodations to newly admitted students. A full listing and guide to University housing and residential life can be found online.   The deadline for submitting your on-campus housing deposit is May 1.

Q: How long does it take to receive I-20 form?

Once you have paid your deposit and submitted the required documents, an I-20 will be mailed to you. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery from the time Temple University receives the required documents for mailing.

Q: Is there a different process to transfer an I-20 to Temple University from another U.S. institution?

If you are currently studying in the U.S. in non-immigrant student status, please ask your current school to transfer your SEVIS record to Temple University.  Please note that SEVIS records cannot be transferred to Temple University until you have been officially accepted into the university. Additional information is available on the ISSS website.

Q: What is the SEVIS fee?

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is a result of the 1996 Immigration Act mandated that a fee should be charged to all new F-1 and J-1 visa holders in order to fund the federal student and scholar data base.

Q: Do I need to submit an immunization record?

There are only two mandatory Student Health requirements for certain groups of students. Students who will be living in the residence halls are required to have the meningitis vaccine. The vaccine can be declined, but the student has to complete an online certification form. The second mandatory requirement is for students who are citizens of countries with a high rate of tuberculosis, including China. These students are required to be screened for tuberculosis.

Students required to have the tuberculosis screening will receive information in early September and that testing must be done in Student Health. We do recommend other immunizations but they are only recommended not required.

Q: Do I need health insurance?

For your safety, Temple University requires all international students in Non-immigrant Student (F1 or J1) status to maintain health insurance that meets the minimum standard as determined by the United States Department of State. In addition, the United States Department of State requires that all individuals in Exchange Visitor (J-1) status also meet minimum insurance requirement.  Requirements and forms are available online

Q: Can I defer my offer of admission to Temple University?

If you are interested in deferring your admission to another semester, please submit a new application for the semester in which you want to enroll. Please send official transcripts for any new academic work completed since your last application. 

Q: Is there an international student orientation program?

New student orientation is mandatory for all international students and is very beneficial for a successful transition into Temple University. Don’t forget to let us know when you will arrive by reserving your place for orientation.

Q: How early can I enter the U.S. before school starts?

The US government allows international students to enter the country as early as 30 days before the program start date indicated on your I-20/DS 2019.

Q: Can I arrange an airport pick-up when I arrive in Philadelphia?

Yes. Temple University offers pick-up services from the Philadelphia International Airport for students arriving for the Fall international student orientation week. You can reserve your pick-up when you register for orientation.

Q: Are there jobs available to international students on-campus?

Part-time student jobs listed are listed on the Human Resources website. International student workers may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic semester. Additional employment opportunities available to international students can be found online.

Q: I have a complicated immigration issue. Who should I contact?

Temple University’s International Student and Scholars Services (ISSS) is the best place to contact with any complicated immigration issues you may encounter.  For additional information about immigration services in the United States, you can visit the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services website.

Q: I'm experiencing technical problems with TUportal. What should I do?

Temple University‘s Computer Services department is available to assist all students with any technical problems they may encounter with TUportal. Students can submit a Computer Services Help Desk ticket online by visiting the TUhelp website or by calling (215) 204-8000. Walk-ins are welcome to go to the Help Desk office, which is located in The TECH Center in Room 106.

Q: Can my credentials be returned to me after I submit them to Temple?

Temple retains all credentials submitted to the university and cannot return original documents. If you prefer to retain your official documents, you may submit notarized copies of your originals.