Temple Summer Scholars is an academically rigorous pre-college program for students entering grades 11 or 12. You'll join Temple undergraduates in two college courses over the six-week summer term.
As a Summer Scholar, you will be able to customize your academic experience to suit your interests. We offer a wide range of summer courses, with options available in most undergraduate fields of study. Temple Summer Scholars students will
- attend two college courses (schedules may vary depending on course choices),
- develop their interests in various academic fields or get ahead on their future college degree,
- challenge themselves with a rigorous college-level curriculum,
- earn up to eight college credits in just six weeks, and
- make new friends and build community with other students from diverse backgrounds.
Temple Summer Scholars will be offered online or on campus from June 21–August 1, 2022. The application deadline for this program is May 13, 2022.
Customize your Temple Summer Scholars experience to suit your interests.
Choose two college courses. There are dozens of options available from the undergraduate course catalog. Please note that course schedules may vary. When you are accepted into the program, you will receive assistance in picking courses that are right for you.
- Attend non-credit study sessions and receive academic support. Temple Summer Scholars is a rigorous, challenging academic experience. To help you succeed, you will be required to attend study sessions a few times a week, and to check in with pre-college mentors. During your study sessions, you can ask questions, spend time on homework, or prepare for class in other ways. Workshops will also be offered on time management, active reading, writing strategies, and more.
Browse our Pre-college Program Guide to learn more about our pre-college programs. Our Pre-college Program Guide is interactive; as you flip through the pages, you can click on program names to learn more about the program on our website, you can click buttons to start your application, or you can watch testimonial videos from previous pre-college alumni.
Depending on the courses you choose, you may meet regularly with your instructor and classmates online or on campus, or you may be working at your own pace to complete course objectives. You will be enrolled in courses alongside current Temple students, so you can expect your college courses to be academically rigorous college experiences.
If you enroll in online courses, participation in this program will require access to a device (computer or tablet) that is connected to reliable, high-speed internet. Participation with a smartphone is not recommended.
Temple Summer Scholars requires an application to be admitted to the program**. In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit
- Your high school transcript (all grades from 9th grade and up, including most recent grades for the current academic year. An unofficial copy of your transcript is acceptable, and you may need to submit more than one file to ensure all of your grades are included),
- Your test scores (Copy of PSAT, SAT, or ACT. Unofficial reports are acceptable) OR an academic writing sample from one of your classes this year (Temple has no preference which document you submit, so choose whichever you feel best reflects your academic ability),
- A personal statement (500 words, prompts provided in the application), and
- A recommendation form from a teacher or guidance counselor. You must provide their name and contact information in your application, and a recommendation form will be emailed to them from firstname.lastname@example.org when you submit your application.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, May 13, 2022.
Notification of Acceptance
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Students are typically notified of their status via email within two weeks of Temple's receipt of their application and other required documents.
Enrolling in the Program
Once you receive your acceptance, you are considered enrolled in the program when you pay your $340 deposit. You may pay the remainder of your program fee up until 7 days prior to the first day of the program.
** Please note that being accepted to Temple Summer Scholars does not mean that you are guaranteed admission to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study. Similarly, if your application to Temple Summer Scholars is denied, it does not mean that you will not later be admitted to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study.
During the application process, you will be asked to provide some detail about the kinds of courses you are looking for.
Once you are accepted to the program, you will meet with program staff to discuss your options and any scheduling constraints in more detail. We also recommend that you consult with your high school teacher or guidance counselor for additional assistance in choosing appropriate courses.
Program staff will assist you in choosing appropriate courses, and will provide you with a draft schedule of online, in-person, or courses that are a mix of both for you to approve before you are registered. If you are taking courses on campus, you are also eligible to live in campus housing.
Please be advised that the full summer course schedule may continue to evolve, and there is a chance that you may be asked to adjust your schedule if a course is canceled. Depending on which courses you are most interested in, you may be asked to take a placement test to ensure you are academically prepared for those courses. This is most common with English, math, and foreign language courses.