Preparing First-Gen Students for Success
Attending college as a first-generation (first-gen) student is a tremendous accomplishment! Ready to Fly is a new program for first-generation students. The program's mission is to ensure academic and personal success for Temple's incoming first-generation students by sharing important resources and building community.
Students in the Ready to Fly program will:
- Receive extra support and guidance from Temple faculty and staff as they begin college,
- Meet other classmates in a small, structured group setting,
- Enroll in two courses with other first-generation students, and, in some cases, even start (and end) early to help you balance your time; and
- Get a head start on becoming familiar with college-level work and navigating Temple systems and resources
Who can participate?
First-generation college students who will begin their first year of college at Temple University in the fall semester are eligible to participate in this program. This program is currently open only to students who will enroll in one of the following schools or colleges:
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Liberal Arts
Ready to Fly students will take two courses—one general education and one freshman seminar—in special sections reserved for first-generation students. In the College of Liberal Arts, students will have the opportunity to begin in early August and will end by November. College of Education and Human Development students will enroll in two courses that are part of the regular fall semester.
There is no additional cost to participate in the program. Students will be registered for a total of 12-18 credits—four or five of which are earned from the Ready to Fly program.
To be eligible to participate in Ready to Fly, you must be a deposited incoming student who identifies as first-generation. If eligible to participate, school/college academic advisors will help students register for their courses during new student orientation.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.